Today, January 28, the Philippine media say “Enough!” to continued attempts by government to muzzle us.
The class suit we filed before the Makati RTC and the separate petition filed by other colleagues before thesignal that the Philippine media shall no longer be content with condemning or reporting on repeated attempts to curtail press freedom.
Today, journalists have acted in defense not only of their right to pursue their profession but, more important, their duty to serve the people’s right to accurate information about current events.
Today, we warn all those who would use and abuse the power that the people entrusted in them by cloaking the truth from the people, that we can and we will back our words with action whenever our and the people’s rights and liberties are threatened and assaulted.
Joe Torres Jr., NUJP chair
Rowena Paraan, NUJP secretary generalFYI: Class Suit Petitioners, as of Jan. 28, 2008 (Although NUJP has already received reports that more journalists from the provinces have joined — at least 16 from Subic, 20 from , and 25 from Davao/Kidapawan).
- Ellen T. Tordesillas (columnist, Malaya)
- Charmaine Deogracias ( correspondent, NHK)
- Ashzel Hachero (reporter, Malaya)
- James Konstantin Galvez (reporter, Manila Times)
- Leticia Z. Boniol (desk editor, Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Marlon Ramos (reporter, Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Jessica Soho (vice president, GMA 7 News and Public Affairs)
- Maria Judea Pulido (reporter, GMA-7)
- Michael Fajatin (reporter, GMA-7)
- Connie Sison (reporter, GMA-7)
- Rawnna Crisostomo (reporter, GMA-7)
- J.P. Soriano (reporter, GMA-7)
- Gena Balaoro (reporter, GMA-7)
- Michelle Seva (reporter, GMA-7)
- Leilani Alvis (reporter, GMA-7)
- Ed Lingao (news director, ABC-5)
- Manolito C. Gaya (ABC-5)
- Erel A. Cabatbat (ABC-5)
- Vincent Cristobal (ABC-5)
- Jesus D. Ramos (ABC-5)
- Michael C. Carreon (ABC-5)
- Ed De Guzman (ABC-5)
- Melinda Quintos De Jesus (Executive Director of CMFR)
- Luis V. Teodoro (Deputy Director of CMFR)
- Booma B. Cruz (PCIJ)
- Vergel O. Santos (chairperson of the editorial board of BusinessWorld).
- Yvonne T. Chua (UP College of Mass Communication – Diliman, )
- Roby Alampay (Executive Director of the South East Asian Press Alliance)
- Danilo Arao (Bulatlat.com and PinoyWeekly)
- Lourdes Simbulan (UP College of Mass Communication – Diliman, )
- Rowena C. Paraan (secretary general, NUJP)
- Iris C. Gonzales (BusinessWorld)
- Maria Cristina V. Rodriquez (freelance journalist)
- Leah Flor (Philippine Cable Television)
- Ma. Aurora Reyes Fajardo (freelance journalist)
- Elizabeth Judith C. Panelo (Bulatlat.com)
- Angel Ayala (dwAD, NUJP)
- Nilo Baculo Sr. (Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro)
- The National Union of Journalists of the (NUJP)
- The Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR)
- Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ)
- Philippine Press Institute (PPI)
Leave a comment
No comments yet.