(Carolyn O. Arguillas/MindaNews) :
murder of Tacurong City columnist Marlene Esperat, the hired killers are
serving their life terms in prison but the alleged masterminds have
continued to elude arrest.
police chief Willie Dangane told MindaNews on March 7
that the warrants for the arrest of alleged masterminds Osmena Montaner,
finance officer of the Department of Agriculture regional office and
Estrella Sabay, regional accountant, had been served in their residences
in the city afternoon of February 22 but the two suspects had fled.
The arrest warrants were issued on February 4.
“They were able to enter the houses of the suspects,” Dangane said. “But
they (suspects) were no longer there.”Supt. Danilo Bacas, spokesperson of
the Philippine National Police in the Autonomous Region in Muslim
Mindanao (ARMM), told MindaNews the warrant had also been served in
the other residence of Montaner in Malabang, Lanao del Sur on March 7 by
the 1505th Provincial Mobile Group (PMG) but Montaner was not there.
Montaner and Sabay were named masterminds in the killing of Esperat by
former military intelligence agent Rowie Biruar, who helped plan the
assassination but later turned state witness.
Through Barua’s testimony, the three other hired killers, Randy Grecia,
Gerry Cabayag and Estanislao Bismanos, were sentenced to life
imprisonment by RTC Judge Eric Menchavez on October 6,
Esperat, a DA chemist who turned whistleblower on corrupt practices in
the regional office, was gunned down on March 24, 2005, a Maundy
Thursday, while having dinner with her two young sons at their residence
in Tacurong City.
Esperat wrote “Madame Witness,” a column for a local weekly,
As chemist employed at the DA regional office from 1987 to 2004, she
discovered several cases of graft and corrupt practices involving misuse
of public funds intended for use of marginalized farmers. She accused
Montaner and Sabay, among others, of alleged corrupt practices.
Judge Simeon Dumdum of the Regional Trial Court Branch 7 in Cebu City,
issued the warrant of arrest against Montaner and Sabay on February 4.
The two suspects had asked the court to quash the charges filed against
them by the state prosecutor on February 1 this year, claiming the RTC in
has no jurisdiction over the case because the murder happened in
But Judge Dumum on February 18 denied the motion to quash, saying his
court has jurisdiction over the case as stated in a
resolution dated November 23, 2005. The high court ordered the transfer
of the hearing from Tacurong to in response to a petition by the
Freedom Fund for Filipino Journalists (FFFJ) citing safety concerns and the
need for a more neutral court.
The judge said the case against Montaner and Sabay “is but a continuation
of the proceedings, of which Criminal Case No. 2568 was just the first
part relative to the murder of Marlene Esperat.”
Dumdum also denied the motion filed by Montaner and Sabay seeking to
stop the serving of the arrest warrants against them.
According to the Center for Freedom and Democracy, the case against
Montaner and Sabay “has been twice dismissed.”
Before the case was transferred to
RTC Judge Francis Palmones had dismissed the case without hearing,
stating that the complaint has “no probable cause.” In , Judge
Menchavez, who sentenced Esperat’s gunmen to life imprisonment,
dismissed the case against the two “because of legal technicalities in the
filing date,” CMFR said.
Esperat’s friend, Nena Santos, also private lawyer for the prosecution,
told MindaNews the Court of Appeals in will hear Monday, March 24,
the third death anniversary of Esperat, a petition filed by the suspects’
lawyers, to issue Judge Dumdum a TRO, citing he has no jurisdiction over
Leave a comment
No comments yet.