4 Capiz journalists receive death threats

A text message circulated on Sunday night (August 31), alleging that three Capiz journalists had died and a fourth one was in critical condition after they figured in a vehicular accident. It was sent to their relatives and friends, other journalists, and even the Capiz governor.

The text message said media men John Heredia, Gerry Pagharion and Edward Basilonia had been declared dead on arrival at the Capiz Emmanuel Hospital while Inquirer correspondent Felipe Celino was in critical condition.

Heredia is the chairperson of the Capiz chapter of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP). Pagharion is the editor of Capiz Times while Basilonia is publisher of the Capiz Chronicle and head of the Provincial Capitol Media Bureau.

At the time the text message was sent, all four were in their homes sleeping. The four media men issued a statement on Monday denouncing the text message. They said it was “uncalled for and malicious”, especially in the wake of the killing of Capiz broadcaster Martin Roxas.

“If it was not a joke, was it meant to silence not only the four of us but also the whole media community in Capiz on issues affecting public interest? Was it meant to divert the media on the more pressing issues and eventually silence them?” the four asked.

“We call on our colleagues in media not to be intimated by this latest attack on press freedom. With God’s help, we shall triumph,” the statement said.

Cyril Simpas, station manager of dyOW Bombo in Roxas City, said he was among those who received the text message from an unknown sender using the number 09085664485.

After he received the text at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday, Simpas said he tried calling the number but it could not be reached.

The unidentified sender also sent similar messages to provincial administrator Zoe Herrera, Roxas City administrator Ronald Amigo, IBC-dyJJ station manager Rexam Laguda and RMN-dyVR reporter Ebe Ballos. Ballos forwarded the message to station manager Eliezer Abarra of RMN-dyVR.

The four have been active in reporting the killing of Roxas, who was shot dead by one of two motorcycle-riding men along Bayot Drive in Roxas City, in the afternoon of Aug. 7.

Roxas was brought to the CEH where he was declared dead – the same hospital where the sinister text message said the three journalists were also declared dead on arrival.

(inquirer.net report, with report from NUJP-Capiz)

NUJP-IFJ Media Safety Office

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s