Radio station manager receives threat a month after station’s closure

A manager and franchise owner of a radio station reported receiving a threatening message a month after a town mayor ordered his station closed.

Segundino Taladico, 53, manager and franchise owner of dySL Radyo Natin-Hinoba-an, received the threat through text messaging on Apr. 13, reported Julius Mariveles, former chair of NUJP Negros Occidental chapter and Interaksyon.com correspondent.

The message, sent through mobile number 0928 874 2534, wrote: ” Hoy, Dino! Gintigan-an kna hitman, ti halong ka guid olwis! 1,2 kalang tuwad ka na (Hey Dino! I got a hitman for you. Take care always! Bend over at the count of two!)”

A month ago, Hinoba-an town mayor Ma. Teresa Bilbao ordered the closure of the radio station, supposedly for failure to secure a business permit from 2010.

In a phone interview with the NUJP Media Safety Office, Taladico denied Bilbao’s claim, saying, “I complied with and submitted the needed [documents for the permit] to the municipal treasurer as early as January.”

But Taladico said, the mayor allegedly told the treasurer’s office to ignore the requirements he submitted.

Believing “the mayor failed to observe due process and violated freedom of the press”, Taladico said he pressed civil damages against Bilbao before the Br. 61 of the Kabangkalan City Regional Trial Court last Mar. 25. The court has yet to set a preliminary hearing.

Taladico told NUJP the move to padlock the station could be politically motivated. He said although the local government had a blocktime program aired over his station, it also had programs aired in timeslots bought by a political party carrying Bilbao’s rival.

He added this is not the first time he has received threats. In December last year, he received a text message that, according to him, went, “Marunong ka bang magdasal? Kasi isa o dalawang bala lang tutumba ka na (Do you know how to pray? In one or two shots, you’re dead).”

For reference:
Rupert Mangilit
Secretary general

Journalists covering fact finding mission report alleged harassment by military

Five journalists covering a fact finding mission by an organization of Typhoon Pablo survivors in Baganga, Davao Oriental reported to colleagues that the group led by Barog Katawhan has been stranded after alleged harrassment by military elements.

Macky Macaspac of the alternative media outfit Pinoy Weekly and Marilou Tuburan of Davao Today reported last night (Apr. 20) that they are among the 69 participants of the fact finding mission still unable to leave Sitio Cabuyao, Barangay Binondo, Baganga, Davao Oriental.

With Macaspac and Tuburan are two journalists from Kilab Multimedia and a columnist of SunStar.

According to a report from Pinoy Weekly (http://pinoyweekly.org/new/2013/04/fact-finding-mission-joined-by-pw-journalist-harassed-by-military/), although there was no direct harm inflicted against the participants, the military reportedly threatened the drivers of vehicles rented for the FFM, causing them to flee from the area and leaving the participants stranded through the night.

NUJP Mindanao Media Safety Office was initially told military elements encamped about an hour’s walk from the village where the FFM is being conducted are allegedly blocking the road leading to Baganga.

Ronalyn Olea of the online Bulatlat said they received a text message from one of the organizers of the mission, saying military agents were barring the group from leaving the area.

Olea said they received the text message at about 6:30 pm today, April 20, and has received no further update from the group. Olea said they were also unable to reach certain members of the group through their mobile phones.

The FFM organized by Barog Katawhan left Davao City Thursday and is set to finish by tomorrow, Sunday, or Monday at the latest, Olea said.

For Reference:

JB R. DEVEZA
NUJP Mindanao Media Safety Office
09995369592